At Gwynedd Mercy University, we understand that choosing a college is one of the biggest decisions you will ever make. That’s why we strive to make the college search and application process as simple as possible. Our admissions counselors are experts and love to share their tips and tricks with students and families to set them up for success.
The Best Questions to Ask on a College Visit
The best way to know if a school is the right fit for you is to visit. But how can you make sure you’re getting the most from your campus tour? Our admissions counselors put together the top, most informative questions you should ask on your college visits, broken into four categories.
ADMISSIONS & FINANCIAL AID QUESTIONS
- What are your admissions criteria for direct entry into my major?
- What types of scholarships do you offer?
- Do you offer free help for completing required financial aid paperwork?
- What student-support services do you offer to students? Are they an additional cost?
- How diverse is your student population?
- What does your university do to make people from all different backgrounds feel welcome and supported?
CAMPUS LIFE QUESTIONS
- Can I have a car on campus starting my first year? If not, when?
- Can I work on campus?
- How do students balance sports with classes and hands-on learning (internships, etc.) requirements?
- What clubs/organizations/honor associations do you offer? What level of commitment do they require?
- What’s it like to live on campus?
- What types of service-related activities can I participate in?
MAJOR & CAREER QUESTIONS
- What opportunities will I have for hands-on learning in my major?
- What does a full-time schedule look like for my major?
- What are some common places where students in my major gain hands-on experience outside the classroom?
- How will the university prepare me to get a job in my field?
- What are some jobs that students in my major have landed?
Now that you are ready to rock your college visits, we hope to see you on our campus soon! Visit gmercyu.edu/visit to schedule your visit to GMercyU!
Meeting with your academic advisor and professors
Congratulations: You’ve done all the campus tours, submitted all your applications and decided on a school! But there are still plenty of questions you’ll have during your time in higher education. Fortunately, your academic advisor is here to guide you throughout your college career, from assisting in creating your class schedule to helping you decide on a major.
Even if you aren’t seeking help, you should make some time to stop by during your professors’ office hours, too. Those conversations and connections will help nurture some valuable relationships that can be helpful down the line.
Gwynedd Mercy University
1325 Sumneytown Pike
Gwynedd Valley, Pa.
Published (and copyrighted) in Suburban Family Magazine, Volume 13, Issue 4.
For more info on Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
For information about advertising in Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
To find out where to pick up your copy of Suburban Family Magazine, click here.