PARENTS LOOKING TO ENROLL THEIR CHILD IN A DANCE SCHOOL MAY NOT REALIZE THE NUMEROUS FACTORS TO CONSIDER. From instructor qualifications and class size to dance styles and more, every dance studio is different. Mulford Dance Studio, which was opened 67 years ago by Nancy Mulford and is now run by her daughter Kim, brings decades of tradition and family values to the dancing community. Kim Mulford-Farmer, who started training at age 5 and majored in ballet at the University of the Arts, offers these top reasons on why Mulford Dance Studio is the best choice for your children.
A South Jersey Legacy: Mulford Dance Studio has more than six decades of experience and quality training. Thousands of students have passed through its doors, some of whom have gone on to dance with the Koresh Youth Dance Ensemble, the Philadelphia 76ers Dance Team, Eagles Cheerleaders, cruise ships, music videos and some have opened studios of their own.
2. Class Variety: “Dance is for everyone,” says Mulford-Farmer. “It helps with coordination, rhythm, fitness, social skills, organizational skills, builds friendships and confidence. Offering a variety of dance styles will help the dancer who wants a career in dance as diversity in training is important.” Mulford Dance Studio offers a variety of classes for all ages with a convenient schedule that fits the life of any busy family. The strong curriculum allows each age group to get the most out of their time in the studio.
Specialty classes for ages 6 and under include All By Myself, a 30-minute class for toddlers to dance without parent involvement; Creative Dance, for ages 3 to 6, which includes ballet, tap and jazz; Tiny Triples for ages 4 to 6 which also includes ballet, tap and jazz; and Ballet/Tumble and Hip-Hop/Tumble for ages 3 to 6. Ages 7 and up can experience ballet, pointe, tap, jazz, contemporary, hip-hop, Hawaiian, musical theater and gymnastics. The studio offers three tracks: Recital Track, Non-Recital Track eight-week courses and Dance Company Track. In addition to weekly classes, the studio offers incredibly popular Princess Camps, Dance Intensives and Dance Clinics throughout the year. ADULT DANCE AND FITNESS CLASSES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE.
3. Award-Winning Studio: Mulford Dance Studio’s dance teams have competed on the local and national stage, being recognized with numerous awards. Just last month, dancers attended Onstage America Nationals in Cape May. “We won many special awards including National Champions for ages 12 and under, the Tap Excellence Award for all studios and Best Choreography. Although we only compete a couple times a year, we take pride in our dancers and teachers’ accomplishments. We use competition as one of our guides to be sure we stay current and competition encourages dancers to push themselves,” says Mulford-Farmer.
4. Experienced and Talented Instructors: Mulford-Farmer says successful dance education requires highly qualified and motivated instructors who know how to develop each dancer depending on their age and curriculum. All dance teachers follow a unified syllabus to build consistency throughout the studio. “Our teachers are highly trained. Many have studied and have college degrees in dance. Teachers continually train at conventions and with online teacher training programs. We believe in solid training in classical dance. Our staff takes classes in New York City whenever we can to work with the best to bring to our studio the most current techniques and choreography,” says Mulford-Farmer. “Many of our former students have become teachers here at the stu- dio. We offer our own Teacher Training Program available to our high school students.”
5. Individual Attention: Class size is kept to approximately an 8-to-1 student-to-teacher ratio for younger classes. “Building a strong rapport between instructors and students is very important so that the child feels safe, confident and is able to be comfortable to take corrections,” says Mulford-Farmer. “Especially with the 6 and under, we take care to have regular meetings to go over classroom ideas and curriculum updates.”
Mulford Dance Studio
245 S. Black Horse Pike | Mount Ephraim
(856) 931-1830 | MulfordDance.com
Published (and copyrighted) in Suburban Family Magazine, Volume 10, Issue 12 (February 2020).
For more info on Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
For information about advertising in Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
To find out where to pick up your copy of Suburban Family Magazine, click here.