AN OUTDOOR LIVING PROJECT CAN TAKE MANY FORMS. It might begin with a patio, then a pergola or roof might be added for shade; the following year the owners might decide an outdoor kitchen space would be beneficial, and perhaps they could even fit a pool down the road. It would be a headache to contact multiple companies for every piece of the puzzle. For this reason—and many more—SLS Landscaping is the obvious choice for designing and installing outdoor living elements.
We spoke to Sam Waddell, owner of SLS Landscaping, to find out what goes into the newest pool services along with the “bigger picture” when it comes to outdoor landscape design.
1. EXPERIENCE. Founded in 1992, this premier design/build and maintenance company has a staff of fully licensed and degreed professionals who offer the newest features in the landscaping and hardscaping industry. Staffed with professionals from landscape architects and designers to certified nursery and landscape professionals and more, SLS Landscaping provides the knowledge and materials needed to complete the service and meet the demands of the client.
2. GUNITE POOLS. Waddell works with custom gunite (concrete) pools because of their quality and reliability. “By offering custom gunite pools, this allows our designers the flexibility to offer our clients that custom size, shape and depth that best fits our clients’ needs and wants. Also, we can provide the amenities and pool finish that fits our clients’ lifestyles,” he says.
3. DESIGNING THE SPACE. Pool designers approach each project individually, discussing a client’s wants, needs and budget, he says. Designers use their knowledge of design principles, construction, horticulture and installation experience to present a design concept to the client, showing the functionality of all aspects of the pool and sur- rounding environment. “When we prepare a plan for a pool and outdoor environment we take many aspects into consideration such as how the client will use the outdoor environment. Are there young children in the home or will the pool be used by primarily adults? Do they entertain a lot or are they looking for a smaller intimate space? … These are a few of the components we consider when planning a pool and outdoor environment,” Waddell says.
4. ACCESSORIES. After learning about how the pool will be used, SLS designers will recommend some amenities to add to the pool. “Pool trends today include custom waterfalls of all sizes, sun shelves, deep water swim outs, LED lighting and energy-efficient pool equipment to name just a few,” he says. “Elevated spas offer a gathering spot for people to have quieter conversations or just relax with spa jets to wash away the active day stresses. Water slides offer hours of fun for children or the adventurous adults. Stone waterfalls create that island getaway feel and tranquil splashing sound.”
5. THE BIG PICTURE. The real beauty comes in SLS’s ability to bring together the big picture of an outdoor environment, ensuring that every element works together, leaving no detail out. “We can design the entire outdoor environment that may include a custom swimming pool with waterfall and water slide along with an outdoor kitchen complete with grill, sink, refrigerator and icemaker under a pavilion with recessed lights, ceiling fan and fireplace,” Waddell says. “The landscape will be completed with lush plantings that offer shade, color and year-round interest, along with low-voltage lighting. The plan can be phased into stages and completed over a period of time that fits our clients’ budget.”
Published (and copyrighted) in Suburban Family Magazine, Volume 10, Issue 3 (May 2019).
For more info on Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
For information about advertising in Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
To find out where to pick up your copy of Suburban Family Magazine, click here.