1. Indoor air quality is not always top of mind for homeowners; however it is one of the main culprits in homes for the cause of allergens. Bacteria, dust, pet dander, pollen, lint and other potentially harmful debris can collect and live in your home’s air ducts. The cool or warm air blowing out from the vents all over your home is coming from those air ducts and could be compromising your home’s air quality. The most important reason for having your home’s air ducts cleaned is that it can help improve the air you breathe in your home and help reduce symptoms of asthma, allergies, headaches and other respiratory conditions.
2. Although clothes dryer vents are also something to w hich most of us give very little thought as we toss our clothes in and out of the dryer on laundry days, they are a leading cause of house fires. COIT cleans approximately 10,000 clothes dryer vents each year. In a typical home with average clothes dryer use, approximately a half pound of lint is removed after a cleaning. If you find that your clothes are taking too long to dry, lint is falling out of the drye r when removing clothes or that the exterior flap barely opens when the dryer is running, the dryer vent is likely clogged. The most impo rtant reason for having your clothes dryer vent professionally cleaned is the prevention of fire.
3. Chimneys are a major origin of home fi res causing disastrous property damage. Fireplace chimneys can create fires when they are dirty. Smoke from burning wood leaves a residue inside the chimney and, if neglected, the residue will build up over time and turn into creosote which is flammable. The most important reason to have your chimney cleaned and inspected is to prevent a chimney fire. A sweep and inspection of your chimney is a quick, easy , no-mess process that is relatively inexpensive.
4. Energy efficiency is another reason to have your air ducts, dryer vents and chimney cleaned regularly by professionals. When your HVAC system is clean it also runs more efficiently, saving you money on your energy bills. The same is true for dryer vents. Your clothes will dry in less time and the dryer will run less often. An annual chimney sweep and inspect ion will also ensure that your fireplace is working to capacity and is structurally sound.
5. Lastly, peace of mind is an essential reason to have your home’s air ducts, clothes dryer vent and fireplace chimneys cleaned by a professional. Approximately 15,000 home fires occur each year in the United States as a result of clothes dryer fires. In many cases the dryer fire spreads and damages other parts of th e home or can potentially cause a total loss of the home. You cannot control the air quality outside your home the way you may want, howe ver you can take control to breathe cleaner, healthier air inside your home by ensuring the air ducts are clean. Cold weather will be h ere soon. Don’t guess that your fireplace is safe this year because you’ve never had a problem in the past. Feel confident that your chimney is safe when you light the first fire of the season because you’ve had it cleaned and inspected.
COIT Cleaning and Restoration of South Jersey
Serving South Jersey
Published (and copyrighted) in Suburban Family Magazine, Volume 9, Issue 7 (September 2018).
For more info on Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
For information about advertising in Suburban Family Magazine, click here.
To find out where to pick up your copy of Suburban Family Magazine, click here.